Tuesday 12 February 2008

I, LUCIFER by Glen Duncan, Rs. 75

"Finally, the other side of the story", the cover proclaimed. How could I resist? I have shelves full of books on Jesus, Sufi saints, and Oriental philosophers. The Bad Girl in me wanted to know.
And what a read it's been. I just finished it this morning, after I got back from dropping my brother off at the airport (sniff). When I finished reading, I wanted to go back and start from page one again. That's a first for me.

So. Down to business. I, LUCIFER is a horribly irreverent and brilliantly funny story (fiction, but of course) told in the first person. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I found myself totally captivated. And terribly jealous of Glen Duncan for coming up with this idea.

Religious people may take offence to this book. Lucifer does and says horrible things. And he refers to Jesus Christ (who happens to be my favourite man in the whole universe) as "Jimmeny Christmas".

But the stories, the alternate perspectives, the humour, the history lessons, the Lessons. If you're worried that you'll end up converting to Satanism, I don't think that's likely. In fact, the insights into evil might just get thee to a nunnery.

My only disappointment was that it was all pretty much C of E. References to Catholicism and Judaism here and there, but no mention about the others--all we Hindus, Muslims, and the rest of us--we don't come into the story at all. I feel left out. But I guess if you're going to write a book on such a controversial theme, it's better to play safe and stay west of fatwas and tridents.

Final thoughts: It's a book that leaves you thinking. If you think thinking is dangerous, then this book isn't for you. If not, then it's on my bookshelf and up for grabs.

1 comment:

pRiyA said...

you'be been TAGGED (as i had warned)! you can inaugurate your re entry into the blogging world by telling us SEVEN things about yourself. check out my latest entry to see what i mean...